- In the mid-1990s, when they were both flight test engineers in Bombardier’s Dash 8 program in Toronto, Julian Chin and Don McNabb would sit outside the hangars at lunch and watch aircraft manoeuver around Downsview Airport.
- “We would never duplicate,” said Chin, who later joined forces with McNabb to create JD Aero, an elite maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) and fixed-based operator (FBO) in Sault Ste.
- JD Aero started with just three employees and gradually added clients until it received a contract for heavy maintenance on Porter Airlines’ entire fleet of Q400 aircraft.
- Today, the company completes heavy maintenance, line maintenance, modification and installation work for the Q400 fleets at Porter, WestJet Encore and Horizon Airlines.
- The company maintains the type for Porter Airlines, WestJet Encore and Horizon Airlines.
- While the FBO is a key part of JD Aero’s future, the company also hopes to diversify its maintenance operation to include aircraft other than Q400s and CRJs.
Read full article: skiesmag.com